Holidays are a time for family, friends, and food. However, it’s also a time when many people worry about gaining weight.
Here are some tips to help you enjoy the holidays without adding on the pounds:
- Be active: Engage in physical activities with your family and friends, such as walking or playing games. This will help you burn calories and stay active.
- Snack wisely: Avoid unhealthy snacks like cookies and other goodies. Instead, opt for real foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds that are filling snacks and don’t contain added sugars or unhealthy fats.
- Watch your portion sizes: Control portion sizes or use smaller plates to avoid overloading your plate.
- Practice mindful eating: Eat mindfully and minimize distractions — including work and electronics. Try to chew slowly and thoroughly, which will allow you to recognize your body’s fullness signals better and consume fewer calories.
- Drink water: Drinking water can help flush out excess sugar from your bloodstream.
- Plan ahead: Mark all of the holiday events you’ll be attending on your calendar so that you’ll remember to plan. If the meal is not at your home, eat lighter the day of the event, by focusing on a salad with lots of veggies, to balance the extra calories you may consume at the party.
- Be mindful of alcohol intake: Alcoholic beverages can be high in calories and sugar. Try to limit your alcohol intake.
Remember the holidays are a time to enjoy yourself, so don’t stress too much about what you eat. Just be mindful of what you’re consuming and make healthy choices whenever possible.